Both of my kids have outgrown their winter hats, and they both have tried to steal my fingerless gloves. So I decided to make them each a full set of winter accessories – hat, fingerless gloves, and new scarves. This whole concept evolved from the moment I started thinking about it. What really happened is I saw this yarn on sale at Jo-Ann:
I happen to have a child (K) who loves everything rainbow, and I thought it would be perfect for a set for her. Until I knit a test swatch. The color changes didn’t happen the way I expected, and from the first swatch it just didn’t seem like her. But it really looked like her sister. (Isn’t that funny, how a color palette can have personality?) So I went back to Jo-Ann and found this yarn:
And the way it works up is sooooooo K. But the pattern for the fingerless mitts I chose (Sojourn) was not her at all (but very H). And this, my friends, is when Pinterest comes in handy. I searched through my “Yarny Goodness” pinboard until I found this cable pattern on craftcookie.com, which just fits K’s personality. It’s called Angel Wings! I had to adapt the Sojourn pattern a little bit, but not much.
The next problem to tackle was that it gets cold in Idaho, and my little darlings can’t walk around with exposed fingertips. So I wanted to add a “hood” to the fingerless mitts – and it worked! I’ll do a tutorial on how I did this, it was kind of fun.
The final step in the evolution of this project was in the creation of the hat – they both said they wanted ear flaps. H had a hat a couple of years ago that had flaps, and there was a buttonhole in one flap and a long string on the other, so she could secure it under her chin. It took a bit of pattern adapting to get these right but finally:
There’s also a tutorial coming on this. I’ve sent my instructions to some brave volunteers to check that my math works for other people’s kids!
The scarves were the last thing I did. H’s Sojourn pattern worked so nicely, all I had to do was cast on a multiple of 6 (with a 3 stitch border on each side), and boom I had a scarf. The Angel Wings made things a little more interesting – I actually had the main cable motif run up the center, and I had half the motif on each side, but offset, so when the cable pattern in the center twisted, the side motifs were ending/starting. In short, there was more math happening in my house than I really wanted, but I’m so happy with the result:
H’s hat actually has to be remade, because somebody (me) didn’t measure anything correctly. It was 1.5″ to short, and I tried to guess how long her ear flaps should be. But her scarf and mitts turned out perfect. And the best part is, I finished everything before the snow arrived – the second week of November (and then we were in the 60s yesterday, in the second week of December).